A hearty and delicious Durban Style Broad Beans Curry. Filled with flavour, it’s a tasty, comforting curry that the whole family will love. Enjoy with roti, basmati rice or even bread (preferably fresh white bread). Vegan and budget friendly!
- Serves 4
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cooking time 30 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at Spice Bazaar.
- 2 tins Butter Beans, drained
- (alternatively 250g Spice Bazaar Pre-Cleaned Kidney Beans, soaked in water overnight and boiled until cooked)
- 2 Tbs oil
- ½ an onion
- 1 tsp curry seeds
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3-4 tsp Spice Bazaar Instant Wet Leaf Masala
- 2-3 medium grated/blended tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in eighths
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- Approximately ½ cup water
- Fresh coriander to serve
- In a pot on medium heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Cook until soft and translucent, just before it starts to go brown.
- Add curry seeds, let fry for a few seconds, seeds will start to pop, then add ginger garlic paste and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add Spice Bazaar Wet Leaf Masala, mix well, then add grated tomatoes.
- Allow to cook, covered, on medium heat until paste has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and garam masala, cook for a few seconds.
- Add potatoes and mix to coat well. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tinned/cooked beans with enough water to cover and add salt to taste. (Note: the Spice Bazaar Leaf Masala contains some salt). Amount of water to add will depend on how quickly the potatoes cook, soft cooking potatoes cook quicker. Rather add less water and top up if it gets dry.
- Cover and allow to cook on medium heat (stirring occasionally) for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with roti, basmati rice, fresh white bread or in a bunny chow.
Alternative using 250g Spice Bazaar Pre-Cleaned Kidney Beans:
- Drain water from overnight-soaked beans using a sieve and wash under running water.
- In a flat-bottomed pot on high heat, add 3 cups water, soaked beans and a pinch of turmeric and boil until soft (±40 minutes). Do not throw away the water.
- Continue from Step 1 above. No additional water is required in Step 5.