A typically South African Indian version of meatballs, much enjoyed in many Durban households. Spicy and delicious comfort food at its best! Using ready-made frikkadels/kebabs makes this a quick and easy mid-week supper.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at Spice Bazaar.
600 g beef, lamb or chicken frikkadels/kebabs/meatballs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 tsp curry seeds
2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
4 tsps Spice Bazaar Kashmiri Masala (or any other masala preferred)
1 sprig curry leaves
10 Roma tomatoes grated/finely chopped/blended or 2 tins canned tomatoes
1 tsp Spice Bazaar tumeric
1 tsp Spice Bazaar garam masala
1 tbsp tomato sauce
Salt to taste
- Brown frikkadels in a frying pan in 1 tbsp oil until cooked.
- Heat remaining oil, add onion and after a minute the curry seeds. Once onion is soft and slightly brown add the ginger/garlic paste. Sauté for less than a minute on medium heat.
- Add Spice Bazaar Kashmiri masala and cook for a further half a minute on medium-low heat, ensuring the spices do not burn.
- Add tomato, curry leaves and a few drops of water if required, turn up heat until it comes to a simmer. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes until thickened.
- Add salt to taste, tomato sauce, garam masala and turmeric.
- Add the cooked frikkadels. Add a little water if needed, close the pot and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stir regularly to ensure it does not burn.
- Serve with roti, naan, paratha or fresh white bread.